Community-connected youth can make a positive difference
Competitive Jump Starters grants up to $10,000 are available to emPowerU participants for student-led service-learning projects in communities throughout northwest Missouri and surrounding counties in Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa. Applications are reviewed by an allocations team and are awarded based on qualifying criteria and availability of funds.
Youth have completed Jump Starters grant-supported projects such as:
- Establishing a second-hand clothing and furniture store in a rural community, which served as both a resource for lower-income families and a local recycling/reuse facility
- Assembling backpacks with personal hygiene items and blankets to the Salvation Army for distribution to the homeless
- Working to reduce neighborhood vandalism
- Stimulating the creation of new job opportunities by promoting the positive aspects of their community to economic developers and commercial real estate agents
- Building community gardens and mobile apps highlighting local history
- Informing the public about environmental concerns such as the dangers of zebra mussels to boating equipment and local lakes
- Campaigning for changes in local laws regarding a host of issues, including pets, curfews, and traffic patterns
- Advocating for a new youth center, community playground, and bike trail
Need more information or have a question?
Email us at email@example.com.